Sunday 9 February 2014

Comfort at a 鹿港小镇...

鹿港小镇 at ION Orchard
Brush pen on Muji Hardbound Sketchbook
If food is salve for the soul, then, comfort food brings the soul home. And, homecooked food is the ultimate healer for the mind. If one cannot find that, then home-style food would be the next best thing.

Feeling particular lazy and lethargic last Sunday evening, about a long weekend of convalescence at home, I wasn’t feeling particularly up to it to dabble in the kitchen. Further, having been cooped up indoors for the past 3 days, I really wanted to get out and get some fresh air.

I found myself in town, window shopping and by evening time, hunger pangs (finally!) struck. I had an appetite for some familiar home-style comfort food. Having been to ‘鹿港小镇’ before, I know they serve food that mum often makes, especially with leftover ingredients (mum and not them use leftovers, that is, at least, I hope not…): stewed roast pork, stewed vegetables, stewed chicken and mushroom, etc.


I ordered stewed roast pork with leek and a serving of rice and allowed myself to be transported back home to a familiar kitchen and felt comforted…


No comments:

Post a Comment