Monday 12 August 2013

Poppies in bloom: we're not in Kansas anymore, Toto...

Bright vermillion poppies blooming in the summer heat at the poppies at the Botanischer Garten/Flora in Cologne, Germany
So the cleaning lady was at my place today. The session forced me to take a look at the remaining luggage left to be unpacked: my sketches from the trip. This is the first in a whole set of drawing including loose sheets and a whole Moleskine sketchbook. I'm going to be taking my time to upload them... scanning is no joke.

I decided to visit the Cologne Botanic Garden (Botanischer Garten/Flora) on what turned out to be the hottest day of the year thus far (then). The blazing sun brought out the intense colours and beauty of the flowers in bloom at the garden. It also meant that I dehydrating fast. I have never drank water at a faster pace than when I was there that day.

I was particularly attracted to the poppies there: a collection of flower beds filled with nothing but poppies. Of course, one can also find the very iconic opium pods. I couldn't resist sitting down to draw the very loud and ostentatious blooms. After all, how often does one see so many poppies at once? It is a controlled/banned horticultural product in Singapore.


No comments:

Post a Comment