Tuesday 1 April 2014

In service and in gratitude...


TWG Tea Salon at ION
As I started on my café personal sketchwalk last December, one of the first places I went was TWG at Ion. Serving perfectly steeped tea in a cosy, it has always been my favourite haunt for a delicious pot of brew. When I was there for the sketching session, I caught the attention of Kenneth, a very enthusiastic and warm tea-sommelier. While conversing (how I miss this a lost art of eloquent dialogue), he brought me along on a wonderful discovery journey on the subject of tea. We were later joined by the manager-on-duty, Jeffrey, who also added lavishly to my education of and acquaintance with the camellia sinensis.

Such was the extent of their hospitality that they generously offered a complimentary pastry that I may complete my sketch in the delicious comfort and company of their conversation and confections. When I was done with my uncoloured sketch of the salon and was about to leave, I promised to return to show the completed, coloured version of the drawing.

Life happened and I was caught in the busy-ness of the everyday. It wasn’t till March when I was to keep my promise and return to the salon for a follow-up. I had then decided present a token of my appreciation to the salon for their warm hospitality and generosity: I wanted to gift them with my very painting of the salon the last I was there:
My humble gift in appreciation of fine hospitality received...
May I just say that I have never come across a more enthusiastic recipient of my art or any gift, for that matter. For that, I want to thank Kenneth, once again for his professionalism and hospitality. Additionally, I want to thank Nina as well, for her warm reception and generosity on my last visit.

Of course, being an avid sketcher, I could not pass up a chance to journal the place graphically, especially when I am offically on a collection of review and sketches of worthy coffee and tea places in Singapore. So here is one from that very visit (at my usual spot, I might add)...

Seated at my usual spot and journaling the place...
I believe, I shall be visiting the salon again, very soon. Anyone interested in joining me for a fine tipple…?


No comments:

Post a Comment