Saturday 30 June 2012

Pink Dot 2012 - Respect and Inclusiveness.

Pink Dot SG is an annual, free for all event which started in 2009, in support of the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) community in Singapore. Attendees of the Pink Dot SG events would gathered to form a giant pink dot in a show of support for inclusiveness, diversity and the freedom to love.

Pink Dot SG was founded by Dr. Roy Tan, a medical practitioner in Singapore with an interest in the archiving of LGBT community history and wanted to take advantage of the liberalisation of rules governing activities that can be conducted at the Singapore's Speakers' Corner in Hong Lim Park and initially planned to stage a traditional gay pride parade in Nov 2008. The first Pink Dot SG event took place at the Speakers' Corner in Hong Lim Park on May 16, 2009.

It is important that we educate ourselves, be aware to be open and inclusive, destroy ignorance and fear. For ourselves. For our future generations.
First they came for the communists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.
Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.
Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.
Then they came for me
and there was no one left to speak out for me.
- Martin Niemöller


1 comment: