Saturday 31 May 2014

A little bit of 1925...


Awesome deliciousness in the form of house-brewed ale and fries...
Daler & Rowney watercolour on Moleskine watercolour sketchbook
After the sketchwalk at Jalan Besar/ Lavender, I brought the hardcore gang to the newest kid on the block, The 1925 Microbrewery & Restaurant. It’s the latest watering hole establishment in the area, serving house brewed Czech-style beer.

I have mentioned their awesome coffee on my previous visit and they are still awaiting custom approval to serve their beer. However, I am a VERY fortunate sketcher today: guess who was at the pubistro (yup, I am officially coining this term) when co-owner Ivan was having a special tasting session of their ales? Yes! US! And more importantly: ME!

On my last visit, I was told of a secret ingredient in brew: Ivan drew my curiosity about a delicious ale that is infused with manuka honey. Yes, you read it right: that very healthful apian produce buzzes its way into the golden nectar. Now that’s guilt-free indulgence, in fact one might say it’s downright essential consumption. No exaggeration.

Although only eight days old (and eight days shy of a mature brew), the beautifully hued beverage was already a sensation on the tongue: light, crisp and deliciously easy on the palate, it flowed down the throat like fingers on a silken scarf.

It was a pity I was there after lunch, so I did not get to order their mains. However, it did not stop me from having a side of wasabi fries to go with the ale. The fries were yums by themselves, but I am sure there is something that would go better with the drink… we shall discover that on our subsequent visits.

I left with nary a hint of drunkenness (despite having down a full pint) and a VERY grateful palate…

I encountered a very friendly and generous co-owner, Mr Ivan Yeo, when I visited the pubistro...


No comments:

Post a Comment